Broyles Award announces 2020 semifinalists, set to honor Kentucky's John Schlarman with Lifetime Achievement Award
We are one step closer to knowing which assistant coach will be honored as the best in the nation this season as the Frank & Barbara Broyles Foundation has just announced the 15 semifinalists for the 2020 Broyles Award.
Of the 15, four of the assistant coaches hail from the Southeastern Conference.
Also listed among the semifinalists for the 2020 Broyles Award is Notre Dame defensive coordinator, Clark Lea. Lea was named the new Vanderbilt head coach on Monday.
In addition to this announcement, the Broyles Foundation has announced Kentucky offensive line coach John Schlarman will be honored with a Lifetime Achievement Award for his dedication to inspiring excellence in athletics through coaching. Schlarman passed away this season following a long fight with cancer.
Here are the four SEC coaches honored as semifinalists for the 2020 Broyles Award:
Steve Sarkisian, Offensive Coordinator/QB, Alabama
Brian Johnson, Offensive Coordinator/QB, Florida
Jeff Lebby, Offensive Coordinator/QB, Ole Miss
Mike Elko, Defensive Coordinator/S, Texas A&M
Here are the coaches from around the nation that have been named semifinalists for the award:
- Jeff Grimes, Offensive Coordinator, BYU
- Marcus Freeman, Defensive Coordinator/LB, Cincinnati
- Chad Staggs, Defensive Coordinator/LB, Coastal Carolina,
- Kane Wommack, Defensive Coordinator/LB, Indiana
- Phil Parker, Defensive Coordinator/Secondaries, Iowa
- Tom Manning, Offensive Coordinator/TE, Iowa State
- Rhett Lashlee, Offensive Coordinator/QB, Miami
- Phil Longo, Offensive Coordinator/QB/TE, North Carolina
- Mike Hankwitz, Defensive Coordinator, Northwestern
- Clark Lea, Defensive Coordinator/LB, Notre Dame (Lea was recently named Vanderbilt’s new coach)
- Brian Hartline, Wide Receivers, Ohio State
The next phase will come when five finalists are announced before declaring a winner.
Joe Brady won the 2019 Broyles Award last season serving as LSU passing game coordinator.