Kentucky basketball announces three-game series with Notre Dame
Kentucky continues to schedule some elite non-conference matchups under John Calipari’s leadership.
The latest series announced by the Wildcats is a three-game series against Notre Dame.
The first matchup in the series will take place next season in Lexington, with a neutral-site showdown set for 2021 with the series concluding in South Bend in 2022. The site of the neutral-site matchup has yet to be determined.
Kentucky leads the all-time series with Notre Dame with a 43-19 record against the Irish. The two programs last met in the 2015 Elite Eight, a game won by Kentucky, 68-66.
John Calipari issued the following statement following this game’s official announcement:
“If our previous games are any indication, this is going to be a great series. I can remember playing Notre Dame in 2010 in Freedom Hall and Ben Hansbrough going crazy in the first half and Terrence Jones willing us to victory in the second half. We went to South Bend a couple years later and that place was nuts. The football team was there and they thumped us. And then the game in 2015 in the Elite Eight was one of the best all-around games I’ve been a part of. Elite play from both teams.
“I’ve got a feeling these three games are going to provide some similar battles. Mike Brey is a terrific coach who always builds teams that are going to fight and give you everything they’ve got. I really like how our nonconference schedule is coming together for the next few seasons.”
Here’s an overview of Kentucky’s updated non-conference schedule for next season:
- Kansas – Nov. 10 | United Center (Chicago) | Champions Classic
- Detroit Mercy – Nov. 13 | Rupp Arena | Bluegrass Showcase
- Hartford – Nov. 17 | Rupp Arena | Bluegrass Showcase
- Georgia State – Nov. 20 | Rupp Arena
- Richmond – Nov. 23 | Rupp Arena | Bluegrass Showcase
- Georgia Tech – Nov. 27 | State Farm Arena (Atlanta) | Holiday Hoopsgiving
- Cleveland State – Nov. 30 | Rupp Arena
- Notre Dame – Dec. 12 | Rupp Arena
- UCLA – Dec. 19 | TBA | CBS Sports Classic