Kentucky sees veteran DB, former 4-star recruit, reportedly enter transfer portal
Joel Williams, a 6-foot-1 and 203-pound defensive back from Baton Rouge, Louisiana, has decided to enter the transfer portal from Kentucky, On3 Sports reported.
Williams was a Class of 2020 4-star recruit. He was ranked the No. 16 athlete in the class of 2020, and the No. 15 player in the state of Louisiana, according to the 247Sports Composite. He played in 7 games last season and made 2 tackles, and appeared in 9 games in 2020.
Williams was part of a Kentucky recruiting class that featured 5 high school 4-star prospects in a class that ranked No. 23 nationally. He had a reported 48 offers as a high school recruit.
Williams chose Kentucky over Alabama, Auburn, LSU, Florida and Georgia.
Here’s his high school bio from Kentucky:
- 4-star recruit by all of the major recruiting services
- Ranked as the No. 26 safety nationally by Rivals
- Ability to play both sides of the ball, as he spent time at wide receiver in high school and totaled 988 receiving yards
- Had five interceptions and helped lead the Chargers to an 13-2 record and an appearance in the 3A playoffs as a senior
- Earned first-team All-State, All-Metro and All-District
- Had 10 TD catches, 35 tackles, 13 pass break-ups and three interceptions as a junior
- Three-year starter for coach Landry Williams
- Ran the 4×100-meter, 4×200-meter and 4×400-meter relays, and competed in the high jump as a junior on the track and field team