LSU may have failed to beat Alabama yet again, losing 24-10 in Tuscaloosa this year, but the Tigers still have a chance to reach 10 wins this season if they can avoid another loss. That mission starts this week with annual rival Arkansas coming to Death Valley.
Ed Orgeron was the first coach to speak during the SEC Coaches Teleconference Wednesday.
Here’s a summary of what he had to say:
- Opening comments: Excited to get back to work Monday, fixing the things we did wrong, praising our guys for what they did right. Disappointed we didn’t win. We have a lot of respect for Arkansas and Bret Bielema. They have run the ball very well on LSU in the past.
- On how the team has progressed after the Troy loss? The leadership of the team. We dug deep. The attention to detail, it doesn’t matter who you play, you can’t just show up and beat teams.
- Thoughts on how many Arkansas players are from Louisiana: They will be fired up. I think those guys have done a good job of recruiting and evaluating Louisiana talent.
- On the hangover effect coming off Alabama: Same thing last year, they beat us close. We have to dig deep, we have to forget about it. I think we’ve done that but you can never really tell until Saturday. Our physicality isn’t far behind Alabama. We went toe-to-toe with them in many regards. We didn’t make the big play when we should. Alabama is our rivalry game and it took a lot out of us.
- Why sticking with QB Danny Etling? Myles Brennan has not beat him out. If Myles beats him out, that would be a different story.
- Have there been letdowns after Bama in the past? We have handled our program on a one day at a time. Alabama isn’t the only game, it’s a big game but not the only game. We have a lot of good football left. We respect Arkansas. Our older players have respect for them because we know what they can do.
- Thoughts on who will play QB for Arkansas? We will prepare for both, they are different. Austin has won many games for them, Cole is a tough player. We have a gameplan for both, whichever one plays we will have a gameplan ready for him.
- What concerns you the most about Arkansas? Stopping the run, being able to stop their run. They have excellent play action and screen game.
- How will fans handle the early game? From what I’m hearing, we will have a great crowd. The football we have been playing, fans see improvement. I expect a great crowd.
- Status of Derrius Guice? He’s the healthiest he has been. We’ve been getting him rest when we can.