Coming off arguably the worst loss in modern LSU history, the Tigers lost at home by a score of 24-21 to Troy, Ed Orgeron has got to get things figured out in Baton Rouge in a hurry with SEC play ramping up this week in Gainesville.
Coach O was the first one to speak during Wednesday’s SEC Coaches Teleconference.
Here’s a recap of what he had to say:
- “Obviously, very disappointed in our performance as coaches and players. We had a team meeting with our leaders. I had a meeting with Joe Alleva, Matt Canada and Dave Aranda, put it all out on the table. It’s been a very good, productive week.”
- How to jump-start the program like you did last year? “Make sure everyone is on the same side of the room. Make sure I bring the energy, I could do a better job of that… Make sure everyone is on the same page.”
- Why do you have a slow start? “We have some young players playing significant minutes. Our OL is thin, our DL is inexperienced. I think we have to start faster and play better on the line of scrimmage. We will play with more emotion this week.”
- Is there an issue with competitive balance in the SEC? “You see a lot of teams that have been in place for several years, the rosters have been built.”
- JaCoby Stevens’ move to safety permanent? “When I approached him about a move to WR, it was his decision, he said he wants to try it. I think the move back to safety will be permanent. He’s already practicing well at safety.”
- Who called the meeting with Alleva? “Monday. Joe and I meet all the time. We both decided to meet with the coordinators to see what was going on. He wanted to meet with them and see what was going on.
- Have you ever had a meeting like that? “Yeah, at USC. Pat Haden was very involved. We aren’t playing well, so I understood it. We all know that.”