After taking a late hit in the LSU-Ole Miss, Tigers LB Jacob Phillips had soreness that kept him from being able to play in the Florida game. Wednesday, on the SEC Coaches Teleconference, LSU coach Ed Orgeron had some good news. He also shared his assessment on some of Georgia’s units and coaches.
Here’s what Coach O had to say:
On Steve Ensminger’s offense:
- “I think he’s done well. As the season progresses, he knows the talent that he has and he’s been using it well. We want to throw the football downfield more.”
On improvements in the offense:
- Play-action pass…I think the run game has remained the same.
On Georgia offensive coordinator Jim Chaney:
- A+ – he’s one of the best I’ve worked with. He’s kind of known as a genius in the profession. He’s a complete coach. I’m glad to see the success he’s had.
On status of LB Jacob Phillips, who missed Florida game:
- He will help us. I thought Micah played well but he had some misfits. I plan for him to be full speed on Saturday afternoon.
On Adrian McGhee:
- He’s solid until Garrett (Brunfield) comes back.
On freshman CB Jontre Kirklin working with the WRs:
- He’s an electric player. We’ve been trying to get him with the offense and hopefully he can get in a provide a spark for us.
On starting a different OL every week this year:
- It’s been difficult. Coach Gregg leaves at midnight, he’s back at 3 in the morning. It’s tough, to make all the calls. Missing Garrett has been big, he’s our captain up there… Hopefully we have the same line this week as we had last week and we play better.
On Georgia’s defense:
- It’s going to be tough. Every time I walk in there, I ask Steve if he’s got something worked up and he says no…. It’s going to be difficult, it’s been difficult for every one.
On preparing for trick plays:
- We work trick plays but you have to follow your rules and if you don’t they’ll get you.
On being battle tested opposed to UGA not being as tested:
- I know that Georgia team is one of the best in the country, it doesn’t matter who they’ve played. I don’t know how it affects UGA but playing against who we’ve played has helped up.
Thoughts on your defense’s performance this season?
- We started off well. The rushing yards given up against Ole Miss and Florida was disappointed. We believe totally in Dave Aranda and what he’s doing but we have to coach better and we have to execute better