Dan Mullen pleased with how far Nick Fitzgerald has progressed since last year
Mississippi State walked into College Station last weekend and walked out with a big victory over a hot Texas A&M team. Now the Bulldogs get one final non-conference matchup against UMass before finishing out the season with three consecutive conference games.
Mullen spoke Wednesday during the SEC Coaches Teleconference.
Here’s a summary of what the Mississippi State coach had to say:
- Opening statement: “Our guys are making sure we are focused vs. a Top 25 last week. We are playing against a 2-6 UMass team but they have only been outscored by 5 points total all season.”
- Is it tougher playing/coaching in the SEC than other leagues? “I think that’s life. I was SEC Coach of the Year and two years later everyone thought we were down here… That’s two years after being No. 1 in the country.”
- How do you handle tough times? “Yeah, I think the league is different. The fan bases are different. Standards and expectations are different… We are trying to raise the bar here. We are having a good year and there is very little talk of our good year… Six wins is just another year here at Mississippi State”
- Donald Gray’s status? “He will be questionable this week.”
- Thoughts on where Nick Fitzgerald is? “He’s much more involved when he comes off the field now and we are breaking down what he’s seeing on the field. This is the coverage we saw, this is how we will attack it next series… He’s a part of the conversation, instead of yes sir, no sir type.”
- Is he where you thought he would be at this point? “That’s what you want at this stage of their career, just understand what we are doing and why.”
- Thoughts on Keytaon Thompson’s progression? “I think the A&M game is the first game he didn’t play. We are trying to give him packages for him every week. He’s only a play away from being our QB.”
- What’s it like being #1 in the Playoff poll? “It adds pressure but it’s a position everyone wants to be. I’d take it. That’s where we all want to be… Being #1 now is great… but the only poll that matters is the last one.”