Mississippi State officially announces Mike Leach's assistant coach hires for the 2020 season
Just in time for National Signing Day, Mississippi State has announced the 10 full-time assistants that will work under Mike Leach in 2020.
The only returning member of Joe Moorhead’s staff is Tony Hughes, who has been named associate head coach for the Bulldogs. Hughes will also shift back to the defensive side of the ball this season and work with Mississippi State’s nickelbacks. Hughes’ time with Mississippi State dates back to the Dan Mullen era.
Following a fantastic two-year run at San Diego State, Zach Arnett has been named Mississippi State’s defensive coordinator with Matt Brock serving as the team’s special teams coordinator and outside linebackers coach. Darcel McBath (cornerbacks), Jeff Phelps (defensive line) and Jason Washington (safeties) round out the new Hail State defensive staff.
Leach serves as his own offensive coordinator while Eric Mele (running backs), Mason Miller (offensive line), Dave Nichol (inside receivers) and Steve Spurrier Jr. (outside receivers) round out the offensive staff.
Here’s the complete lineup of Mississippi State assistant coaches for the 2020 season:
- Zach Arnett — Defensive coordinator
- Eric Mele – Running Backs
- Mason Miller – Offensive Line
- Dave Nichol – Inside Receivers
- Steve Spurrier Jr. – Outside Receivers
- Tony Hughes – Associate Head Coach/Nickelbacks
- Matt Brock – Special Teams Coordinator/Outside Linebackers
- Darcel McBath – Cornerbacks
- Jeff Phelps – Defensive Line
- Jason Washington – Safeties