Missouri announces hire of former Texas Tech defensive coordinator David Gibbs
Missouri announced the addition of assistant coach David Gibbs to Barry Odom’s staff on Thursday. Gibb is a 25-year coaching veteran having served on coaching staffs in both college and the NFL.
At the time of his hiring, Missouri has not specified what exact role Gibbs will have on the staff. Gibbs previously served as Texas Tech’s defense for four seasons. While the Red Raider program may not be known as being particularly stingy on defense, under Gibbs’ watch, Texas Tech featured units that consistently ranked among the best in the Big 12 in turnovers forced.
Odom released the following statement along with the announced hiring of Gibbs.
“I’m excited to have David join our staff. He’s got an extensive track record of success in his career, and I’m confident he’ll be a great addition to our Athletic Department, football program and defensive room. His history of coaching and coordinating at a high level speaks for itself, and I know our staff will take advantage of his experience in all areas. He will be a great fit with our culture at Mizzou and our kids will enjoy working together and learning from him.”
It should be noted that Gibbs has working experience with current Missouri defensive assistant Vernon Hargreaves. Hargreaves coached inside linebackers last season in Columbia.
Gibbs also provided a statement which was included in Missouri’s announcement of his hire.
“I’m very grateful and excited to be part of Coach Odom’s program, this is an outstanding opportunity for me and my family. I’ve known about Mizzou and Columbia for a long time, and I’ve got a ton of respect for Coach Odom and the type of program he runs. I’m looking forward to getting going there and helping Mizzou continue to build upward.”
David Gibbs coaching history
- 2015-18 – Texas Tech – Defensive Coordinator
- 2014 – Houston – Interim Head Coach (Armed Forces Bowl)
- 2013-14 – Houston – Defensive Coordinator
- 2012 – Virginia Destroyers (UFL) – Defensive Backs
- 2009-10 – Houston Texans (NFL) – Defensive Backs
- 2006-08 – Kansas City Chiefs (NFL) – Defensive Backs
- 2005 – Auburn – Defensive Coordinator
- 2001-04 – Denver Broncos (NFL) – Defensive Backs
- 1997-2000 – Minnesota – Defensive Coordinator
- 1995-96 – Kansas – Defensive Backs
- 1993-94 – Colorado – Graduate Assistant
- 1991-92 – Oklahoma – Graduate Assistant