Eli Drinkwitz completes his Missouri coaching staff with hire of Tulsa defensive backs coach
It didn’t take long for Eli Drinkwitz to complete his Missouri coaching staff following the departure of David Gibbs to UCF.
If you missed the news last week, Gibbs left Mizzou to serve as the new co-defensive coordinator for Gus Malzahn in Orlando. That move left an opening for Drinkwitz and Steve Wilks, the program’s first-year defensive coordinator, to fill with a new defensive backs coach.
On Tuesday, Drinkwitz announced the Tigers will hire former Tulsa defensive backs coach Aaron Fletcher to fill the final position on Missouri’s assistant coaching staff. This news was first reported by Mitchell Forde of PowerMizzou.
Last season, Tulsa’s pass defense rated No. 2 in the American Athletic Conference. During the 2018 season, Tulsa’s pass defense rated No. 1 in the conference and No. 8 nationally.
Fletcher has spent the previous six seasons at Tulsa and helped the program reach three bowl games during that time. Fletcher also has experience coaching for Houston Baptist University (2012-14) and several high school programs near Dallas.
He played for Texas A&M-Commerce and is a native of Austin.
Missouri’s 2021 assistant coaching staff
- Steve Wilks – Defensive coordinator *
- Jethro Franklin – Defensive line *
- Erik Link – Special teams coordinator
- Marcus Johnson – Offensive line
- Curtis Luper – Running backs
- Casey Woods – Tight ends/recruiting coordinator
- Bush Hamdan – Quarterbacks/Receivers
- Aaron Fletcher — Secondary *
- DJ Smith – Linebackers
- Charlie Harbison — Defensive backs
* entering their first year on Missouri’s staff