Mizzou coach Barry Odom discusses going on the road to Wyoming for Week 1 game, facing 'gritty' starting Cowboys QB
When SEC fans see “Wyoming” on the schedule for Week 1, most of them expect to be hosting the Cowboys at home. Missouri, however, is going on the road to face the Mountain West team. The game is set for a 7:30 p.m. ET kickoff on Saturday night and will air on the CBS Sports Network.
On Wednesday’s weekly SEC media teleconference, Mizzou coach Barry Odom discussed the trip out west, Wyoming’s “gritty” starting quarterback and the latest on his Tigers squad:
- On RB Tyler Badie: He and [RB Larry] Rountree both… he has grown and matured into a position where he can be an every-down back. He has an understanding of playing the position with another year under his belt. His pass to and running into the tackles has grown.. he is more explosive this year…
- On Wyoming starting QB Sean Chambers: Watching the four games he played, to me, he is really, really solid QB. He is gritty, he has good speed, he throws the ball really well… he is a dangerous player and for him to be so young, he made some wise decisions with the ball. He is a solid player.
- On Mizzou starting QB Kelly Bryant: Very proud of his approach, for how he has accepted his teammates and been accepted. It has been a joy to coach him, he goes out every day and practices like you want your QB to practice.. that says a lot about him and who he is… I’m excited to see how he goes when the lights go on.
- On the elevation of Wyoming: We have researched the teams that went out there and reached out to them and implemented those things.
- On traveling to Wyoming: No matter where we play, it is an opportunity for us to compete… wherever we go, it is an opportunity for us to play and play well. We try and take out everything that doesn’t really matter, including location, weather… we have to focus on being in the moment, one play at a time.