Skip to content
College Football

Chargers GM says Tua Tagovailoa would have been his team’s pick if Miami selected Justin Herbert

Michael Wayne Bratton

By Michael Wayne Bratton

Published:

presented by toyota

Despite all the speculation regarding Tua Tagovailoa’s draft stock slipping heading into the 2020 NFL Draft, we all know now that the former Alabama quarterback was selected with the No. 5 overall selection by the Miami Dolphins.

What would have happened to Tagovailoa if the Dolphins didn’t draft the All-American? He would not have lingered on the draft board much longer says Los Angeles Chargers General Manager, Tom Telesco.

Telesco was a recent guest of “The Pat McAfee Show” and was asked if Miami selected Justin Herbert with the No. 5 overall selection, would the Chargers have taken Tua at No. 6?

“Yeah, we felt great about both guys,” Telesco responded, “actually, we felt great about all three quarterbacks that went in the top six. All three are going to be really good players in this league. It’s a comforting factor to know, hopefully we don’t pick 6 very often. If we do, I won’t be making very many picks here.

“If you are going to pick this high and there is a potential franchise quarterback there, you have to take him.”

So there you have it, the Chargers don’t anticipate having a draft pick of this caliber again anytime soon and as long as one of the top three quarterbacks in the draft was available to select at No. 6, the franchise wasn’t going to pass up on the opportunity to take one of them.

Michael Wayne Bratton

A graduate of the University of Tennessee, Michael Wayne Bratton oversees the news coverage for Saturday Down South. Michael previously worked for FOX Sports and NFL.com

You might also like...

STARTING 5

presented by rankings

2026 RANKINGS

presented by rankings