Ole Miss announces hire of new special teams coordinator Coleman Hutzler
Lane Kiffin worked quickly to replace former Ole Miss special teams coordinator Blake Gideon, who recently left to join Steve Sarkisian’s staff at Texas.
Interestingly enough, Kiffin looked to Texas to replace Gideon.
On Friday, the Rebels announced Coleman Hutzler as the program’s new special teams coordinator. Hutzler served as the co-defensive coordinator and linebackers in Austin last season under Tom Herman.
Prior to landing at Texas, Hutzler was Will Muschamp’s special teams coordinator and linebackers coach at South Carolina for four seasons. During his time at South Carolina, Hutzler was nominated for the Broyles Award — given annually to the nation’s top assistant coach — during the 2017 season.
Following Hutzler’s hire in Oxford, Kiffin is now down to two openings on his Ole Miss coaching staff. The Rebels currently don’t have a tight ends coach (Joe Jon Finley left for Oklahoma) or a defensive line coach (Deke Adams was not retained by Kiffin).
Here’s a look at Hutzler’s career coaching track record:
- 2006: San Diego (Def. Assistant)
- 2007: Stanford (Recruiting Assistant)
- 2008-09: Stanford (Def. Assistant)
- 2010-11: Florida (Special Teams Coord./LBs)
- 2012-13: New Mexico (Special Teams Coord./OLBs)
- 2014: Florida (Special Teams Coord./OLBs)
- 2015: Boston College (Special Teams Coord./ OLBs)
- 2016-19: South Carolina (Special Teams Coord./LBs)
- 2020: Texas (Co-DC/LBs)
- 2021-Present: Ole Miss (Special Teams Coord.)