10 best SEC West games of 2015
Hold onto your seats.
The SEC West will be must-see TV this fall.
There’s not a league-only weekend all season that won’t feature at least one matchup featuring a nationally-ranked team. All seven squads, at some point, should be ranked this season in college football’s toughest division.
Editor’s note: We’ve selected matchups only including two Western Division teams. Some of the SEC’s best games of the 2015 season feature cross-divisional battles, notably Georgia’s pair against Alabama and Auburn.
10 best SEC West games of 2015
10. Arkansas at LSU (Nov. 14) — Can the Tigers get in the end zone this season against one of the West’s best defenses? The winner of this one likely finishes in the top half of the division and positions itself for a quality New Year’s Six bid with a couple more victories.
9. Texas A&M at Ole Miss (Oct. 24) — This one’s for the football purists, an offense vs. defense clash in Oxford pitting likely two nationally-ranked teams. The Myles Garrett vs. Laremy Tunsil matchup is worth the price of admission as is Texas A&M’s passing game against an elite Rebels secondary.
8. Alabama at Mississippi State (Nov. 14) — Kirby Smart frustrated the SEC’s top quarterback last fall and will have to do so again if the Crimson Tide intend on defending their SEC title in Atlanta three weeks later. Dak Prescott’s Heisman campaign could be rejuvenated with a huge outing.
7. Mississippi State at Auburn (Sept. 26) — Probably the Bulldogs’ toughest game this season, Mississippi State’s lost its last three games at Jordan-Hare and could be facing an 0-2 SEC start if it doesn’t find a way to corral the Tigers and Jeremy Johnson this season.
6. Arkansas at Alabama (Oct. 10) — After last season’s disappointing final gasp, Razorbacks senior quarterback Brandon Allen will have revenge on his mind heading into a game Arkansas must win to conquer the West as one of the division’s darkhorses.
5. Auburn at Texas A&M (Nov. 7) — Will Muschamp vs. John Chavis? We’re in. Points won’t exactly come at a premium with these two explosive offenses, however.
4. Ole Miss at Auburn (Oct. 31) — The loser of this game faces a tough uphill climb in the Western Division standings heading into an all-important November.
3. LSU at Alabama (Nov. 7) — Here’s a possible Top 10 battle between SEC titans, the division’s second most-heated rivalry behind Alabama-Auburn (apologies in advance Egg Bowl fans). The Leonard Fournette vs. Derrick Henry matchup is salivating.
2. Auburn at LSU (Sept. 13) — After suffering through last year’s beating at Auburn, the Tigers are poised to return the favor in Baton Rouge during the SEC’s most important early-season game of 2015.
1. Alabama at Auburn (Nov. 28) — We’ll all turn our attention to Jordan-Hare Stadium for the finale when two preseason favorites meet in the annual Iron Bowl. Last year’s game didn’t live up to its preseason billing — and how could it after the 2013 installment — after Auburn stumbled down the stretch. Expect two Top 10 teams that may decide the West this season.