Final countdown: 11 top uncommitted prospects remain in play for SEC schools
We have less than 48 hours before the start of National Signing Day. Get ready to hit the refresh button all day Wednesday.
Twenty-three of the nation’s top 25 prospects are on campus or have committed, according to 247Sports.com’s composite board.
Today we will look at 11 top uncommitted prospects eyeing SEC schools and the battle that remains for their signature with Wednesday announcements on tap.
1. Marvin Wilson, DT, Bellaire, Texas (Episcopal), 5-star: LSU, Florida State, Ohio State, Oklahoma and USF are in the top five but most believe it’s an LSU-FSU race. Wilson, the No. 6 prospect in the class, will make his announcement Wednesday afternoon.
2. Aubrey Solomon, DT, Leesburg, Ga. (Lee County), 5-star: Alabama, Michigan and USC are the top three going into Wednesday’s 10 a.m. announcement on ESPNU. He’s the No. 25-ranked prospect in the class.
3. LaBryan Ray, DE, Madison, Ala. (James Clemens), 5-star: Florida is trending, but Alabama is still the team to beat for the in-state prospect with Tennessee seemingly on the outside looking in. Ray, No. 26 overall, will make his announcement around 12:45 p.m. Wednesday.
4. K’Lavon Chaisson, DE, Houston (North Shore), 4-star: Chaisson took an official to Florida this past weekend and an official to LSU earlier in the month but it looks like Tom Herman will do whatever it takes to make Chiasson a Longhorn.
5. Devonta Smith, WR, Amite, La. (Amite), 4-star: LSU, Alabama and Florida State are all in the hunt for Smith, the No. 64 prospect who will make his decision at 10 a.m. Wednesday.
Online sports betting has come or is coming to many southern states. Residents of states where legalized sports betting exists can bet on things like the Heisman race, SEC football games each week and more... all right from their mobile device.
6. Willie Gay, LB, Starkville, Ms. (Starkville), 4-star: Surprisingly LSU seems to be trending over hometown Mississippi State for Gay with Michigan on the outside looking in. Gay, No. 73 overall, hasn’t set his announcement time.
7. Henry Ruggs III, WR, Montgomery, Ala. (Lee), 4-star: Alabama will be going for a signing day clean sweep with in-state targets, but Florida State has made up a ton of ground with Ruggs, the No 77 prospect. A mild surprise is possible with his announcement.
8. Phidarian Mathis, DT, Monroe, La. (Neville), 4-star: Mathis took an official visit to TCU last week, but it’s uncertain how much of a dent, if any, did the Horned Frogs staff put into what’s been another Alabama-LSU battle. Mathis is going to make his announcement Tuesday at 5:30 p.m. ET at the gravesite of his late friend Tyrell Cameron.
Tomorrow I will commit!!! @ tyrell cameron grave everyone is invited…
Around 4:30 ???#TC48??
— GC PHIL???? (@phildarianmathi) January 30, 2017
9. Nico Collins, WR, Pinson, Ala. (Clay-Chalkville), 4-star: Collins took an official visit to Georgia this past weekend but all of the recent trends say this No. 136 prospect will shun the region for the Big Ten and become a Wolverine at his signing day announcement.
10. Leonard Warner, LB, Snellville, Ga. (Brookwood), 4-star: Georgia could be the favorite for Warner if they have room for him in their class, which is an uncertainty. If Georgia doesn’t have room it looks like Florida State will be the beneficiary. Stanford could also jump in the picture if Warner meets their admissions standards.
11. Markaviest Bryant, DE, Cordele, Ga. (Crisp County), 4-star: Georgia seemed to be in the driver’s seat for this in-state prospect but Auburn had the final official visit and tried to make up a lot of ground. Then there’s LSU, which has quietly remained in the race. His announcement will be before noon on signing day.
OTHER PLAYER NEWS
James Robinson, WR, Lakeland, Fla. (Lakeland), 4-star: Robinson got a visit from Jim McElwain on Friday before the news of his legal troubles from his official visit at Ohio State were released. Ohio State said they are no longer recruiting Robinson and it’s believed that Oklahoma has silently dropped out as well. Florida’s scholarship offer to Robinson is still active and it’s believed that the Gators are his only remaining option.
Robert Beal, DE, Suwanee, Ga. (Peachtree Ridge), 4-star: South Carolina brought in Beal on an official visit and now there is at least a flip watch for the long-time Georgia commit. Beal took official visits to Georgia, South Carolina, Florida State, Alabama and N.C. State, but it appears like the Gamecocks are the only program that can challenge Georgia for his signature.
Devodrick Johnson, LB, Dallas, Texas (Kimball), 3-star: Johnson is on his second verbal commitment to Texas A&M after committing in June and taking a two-month break before recommitting. But as signing day rolls around it appears like Baylor has made enough of an impression that the Aggies will have to sweat this one out.
— Devodrick Johnson (@foebg_) January 30, 2017
Devan Barrett, RB, Tampa, Fla. (Catholic), 4-star: Barrett took an official visit to Indiana this past weekend after the running back said he would keep his options open before signing. Indiana head coach Tom Allen was the defensive coordinator at South Florida in 2015 and has a son who plays for Plant High School in Tampa so there are some ties there. Still it’s believed Barrett will stick with his commitment.
Jordan Murphy, WR, Hattiesburg, Miss. (Hattiesburg): If Murphy, a Tennessee commit, wanted to keep his official visit to Ole Miss quiet, he did a poor job of it. After reportedly denying any intentions of visiting Ole Miss this past weekend he filled his Snapchat and Instagram accounts with pictures of the visit. Safe to say Ole Miss believes they can flip Murphy in the next 48 hours.