2021 NFL Draft: 7 SEC players selected during 3rd round
It was bound to happen. For the first time in the 2021 NFL Draft, the SEC posted single-digit draftees for a round.
Seven former SEC standouts were called during Round 3. Texas A&M, Tennessee and Auburn all saw their first draftees of 2021 go during the third round.
In the grouping of 32 picks, the SEC had five players drafted. Compensatory picks kicked in after No. 96, and two more SEC players were selected in the third round. Round 3 ended with pick No. 105 of the 2021 NFL Draft. The draft will be completed on Saturday with Rounds 4-7.
The Big Ten and ACC did some catching up in Round 3 but the SEC still comfortably leads overall.
Below is a breakdown:
SEC players drafted in the 3rd round
- No. 66 Kellen Mond, QB, Texas A&M (Vikings)
- No. 77 Josh Palmer, WR, Tennessee (Chargers)
- No. 91 Anthony Schwartz, WR, Auburn (Browns)
- No. 92 Monty Rice, LB, Georgia (Titans)
- No. 94 Ben Cleveland, OL, Georgia (Ravens)
- No. 97 Tre’ McKitty, TE, Georgia (Chargers)
- No. 103 Ernest Jones, LB, South Carolina (Rams)
Conference Breakdown after 3 rounds
- SEC: 29
- Big Ten: 20
- ACC: 20
- Pac-12: 11
- Big 12: 6
- Independent: 7*
- AAC: 5
- FCS: 3
- MAC: 2
- Conference USA: 1
- Division III: 1
SEC Breakdown after 3 rounds
- Alabama 8
- Georgia 6
- Florida 3
- Kentucky 2
- LSU 2
- South Carolina 2
- Auburn 1
- Mizzou 1
- Ole Miss 1
- Tennessee 1
- Texas A&M 1
- Vanderbilt 1
*Notre Dame players are being counted as independents. ND participated in the ACC for 2020 only.