8 SEC players listed in Bleacher Report's updated 2019 NBA Mock Draft
Four SEC teams are still alive in the 2019 NCAA Tournament, and the Sweet 16 games will take place on Thursday and Friday.
That means players from those teams are still able to show what they can do for NBA squads as the 2019 NBA Draft draws nearer. On Monday, Bleacher Report’s Joe Tansey updated his first-round mock draft, and eight SEC players were listed.
As you can see below, Vanderbilt PG Darius Garland leads the way at No. 8, followed by seven other SEC stars:
- No. 8 — Darius Garland, G, Vanderbilt — Washington Wizards
- No. 10 — Jontay Porter, F/C, Mizzou — Los Angeles Lakers
- No. 13 — Keldon Johnson, G/F, Kentucky — Orlando Magic
- No. 18 — Naz Reid, F/C, LSU — Boston Celtics
- No. 21 — Daniel Gafford, F/C, Arkansas — Oklahoma City Thunder
- No. 25 — Tyler Herro, G, Kentucky — Cleveland Cavaliers
- No. 26 — Grant Williams, F, Tennessee — Philadelphia 76ers
- No. 27 — PJ Washington, F, Kentucky — Golden State Warriors
Having Mizzou’s Porter at No. 10 is interesting, since he just re-tore his ACL and may not even enter the draft. However, when you think about it, Porter might be a good fit for the Lakers.
With LeBron James and potentially two max-contract free agents coming in this offseason, playing time will be at a minimum for young players. Going there would allow Porter to rehab for a year and then come out stronger in 2020-21.