ACC Basketball Tournament: Bracket update, schedule, TV info for March 9
The ACC Tournament continues in Greensboro on Thursday with quarterfinal action.
Miami, Clemson, Virginia and Duke will be in action for the 1st time on Thursday. There will also be several teams on the NCAA Tournament bubble who need a win in the quarterfinals in order to receive serious consideration for the Big Dance.
North Carolina and Clemson both enter the day on the bubble. The Tar Heels defeated Boston College on Wednesday night, but there’s concern around Armando Bacot’s ankle injury.
Here’s the ACC Tournament bracket ahead of Thursday’s action:
LET'S HOOP. ?
?️: https://t.co/YfLKZyMkKH pic.twitter.com/JgZV9TdT3P
— ACC Men's Basketball (@accmbb) March 5, 2023
North Carolina and Clemson are both in must-win situations on Thursday if they hope to make the NCAA Tournament. Neither team is currently in Joe Lunardi’s projected field of 68. UNC is the “first four out” section while the Tigers are in “next four out” territory.
Both teams will face a tough test in the quarterfinals. North Carolina will play No. 2-seeded Virginia, who the Tar Heels defeated in Chapel Hill back on Feb. 25. However, UVA defeated Carolina at home on Jan. 10. Clemson gets NC State, who scored nearly 100 points against Virginia Tech on Wednesday. The Wolfpack’s backcourt of Terquavion Smith and Jarkel Joiner could give the Tigers issues.
Pittsburgh is also on the bubble as it takes on Duke. The Panthers could use a win in order to feel safe on Selection Sunday. Duke, however, is the favorite to win the ACC Tournament and will be looking to improve its résumé for March Madness.
Miami and Wake Forest will play in the 1st game of the day. The Canes won a share of the ACC regular season title and have proven to be formidable all season long. Wake Forest is coming off of a last-second win over Syracuse in the 2nd round on Wednesday afternoon. The Demon Deacons would likely need to win the ACC Tournament to earn a berth in the field of 68.
Here’s the full schedule for the week in Greensboro:
Tuesday, March 7
- Game 1: Georgia Tech 61, Florida State 60
- Game 2: Boston College 80, Louisville 62
- Game 3: Virginia Tech 67, Notre Dame 64
Wednesday, March 8
- Game 4: Wake Forest 77, Syracuse 74
- Game 5: Pitt 89, Georgia Tech 81
- Game 6: North Carolina 85, Boston College 61
- Game 7: NC State 97, Virginia Tech 77
Thursday, March 9
- Game 8: Miami vs. Wake Forest (Noon, ESPN)
- Game 9: Duke vs. Pitt (2:30 p.m., ESPN)
- Game 10: Virginia vs. North Carolina (7 p.m., ESPN2)
- Game 11: Clemson vs. NC State (9:30 p.m., ESPN2)
Friday, March 10
- Game 12: Game 8 winner vs. Game 9 winner (7 p.m. on ESPN)
- Game 13: Game 10 winner vs. Game 11 winner (9: 30 p.m. on ESPN)
Saturday, March 11
ACC Championship: Game 12 winner vs. Game 13 winner (8:30 p.m. on ESPN)
You must be logged in to post a comment. Please sign in or register