Auburn commit feels Tigers are 'winning the state right now' in recruiting
For many Alabama high school football players, the Iron Bowl rivalry never ends. The Tigers and Crimson Tide duke it out year around on the recruiting trail, especially when it comes to in-state prospects.
Four-star athlete Malcolm Askew of McCalla, Ala., an Auburn commit, told AL.com’s Wesley Sinor that the Tigers are on top right now when it comes to in-state recruiting.
“We’re going to try and land some guys and continue to build the class and have a great time,” Askew said after visiting AU on Saturday. “I feel like we’re winning the state right now, so that’s a big thing.”
Auburn currently has nine commitments for 2017, with five, including Askew, coming from Alabama. The other four are:
- Four-star OT Austin Troxell (Madison)
- Four-star ATH Alaric Williams (Gadsden)
- Four-star ILB Tadarian Moultry (Birmingham)
- Two-star LS Bill Taylor (Tuscaloosa)
Alabama meanwhile has four in-state pledges among its 14 commits:
- Four-star OLB Markail Benton (Phenix City)
- Four-star ATH Chadarius Townsend (Tanner)
- Four-star RB Brian Robinson (Tuscaloosa)
- Four-star ILB Gary Johnson (Birmingham)
We shall see if Auburn’s lead holds through National Signing Day.
All referenced recruiting ratings are 247Sports Composite