If there’s anything that can add to a gameday atmosphere better than the actual stadium, it’s the pre- and post-game bar.
Business Insider ranked the top 31 college bars in the US, and five SEC bars made the cut.
You can read the entire list here, but below are snippets from each SEC school:
Bourbon Street: Athens, Georgia
In downtown Athens, students point to Bourbon Street as the place to be after sundown. Known for its popularity among UGA freshmen, Bourbon Street’s best deals are during its power hours, which tend to inspire some table-top dancing.
Hurricane Harry’s: College Station, Texas
Texas A&M students point to a large southern-country influence on the type and interest of nightlife in College Station — and Harry’s definitely embodies it all.
Harpo’s: Columbia, Missouri
Harpo’s calls itself “the Missouri bar and grill,” and indeed, it’s a legitimate Mizzou tradition to gather here for games.
Salty Dog Saloon: Gainesville, Florida
Students don’t need to study abroad to drink up cultures from around the globe. The beer menu at Salty Dog Saloon offers roughly 80 different brews, imported from far away places like Kenya, the Philippines, Holland, Italy, China, and Czech Republic.
Houndstooth Sports Bar: Tuscaloosa, Alabama
Located just two blocks from Bryant-Denny Stadium, The Houndstooth got its name from Paul “Bear” Bryant, who coached Alabama to six national championships during his 25-year career and had an affinity for houndstooth-print hats. Memorabilia and photos of him cover nearly every inch of the faded burgundy walls.
Here are all the college bars included:
- Mickey’s Irish Pub – Ames, Iowa
- Rick’s American Cafe – Ann Arbor, Mich.
- Bourbon Street – Athens, Ga.
- Aquarium – Austin, Texas
- Top of the Stairs – Blacksburg, Va.
- Kilroy’s – Bloomington, Ind.
- The Sink – Boulder, Colo.
- Cambridge Queen’s Head Pub – Cambridge, Mass.
- Kam’s – Urbana-Champaign, Ill.
- He’s Not Here – Chapel Hill, N.C.
- Coupe Deville’s – Charlottesville, Va.
- Cornerstone Grill & Loft – College Park, Md.
- Hurricane Harry’s – College Station, Texas
- Harpo’s – Columbia, Mo.
- Ugly Tuna Saloona – Columbus, Ohio
- Taylor’s Bar & Grill – Eugene, Ore.
- Dain’s Place – Durham, N.C.
- Salty Dog Saloon – Gainesville, Fla.
- Brother’s Bar & Grill – Iowa City, Iowa
- The Neon Cactus – West Lafayette, Ind.
- 901 Bar & Grill – Los Angeles, Calif.
- Kollege Klub – Madison, Wis.
- Kite’s Grille & Bar – Manhattan, Kan.
- The Boot – New Orleans, La.
- Josie Woods Pub — New York City, N.Y.
- Smokey Joe’s – Philadelphia, Pa.
- Hemingway’s Cafe – Pittsburgh, Pa.
- Phyrst – State College, Pa.
- Faegan’s Cafe & Pub – Syracuse, N.Y.
- Houndstooth Sports Bar – Tuscaloosa, Ala.
- The Tombs – Washington, D.C.