Chris Marler's college hoops betting journal, Vol. 2
We’re back for another week of Chris’ College Hoops Betting Journal. As the resident SDS gambling expert (see: degenerate), I am here to give y’all some weekly betting advice for the SEC hoops season thanks to our good friends at BetOnline.
Last week was an up and down stretch for my gambling account as well as the top teams in the SEC. What happened? As has been a trend for most of this season, chaos and home-court advantage reigned supreme. Nine ranked teams lost this past weekend, including 8 (8!) on the road.
The travel bug hit the top teams in the SEC hard as well, as No. 25 LSU and No. 11 Auburn lost to unranked teams on the road. That Auburn loss was especially bad for yours truly, as I dropped my biggest bet of the season on the wrong Tigers. Oh well.
The silver lining? Thanks to our good friends at BetOnline, I still came out on top this weekend because of their in-game betting feature. As most of you saw, SEC blue blood Kentucky trailed Ole Miss late into the 2nd half Saturday at Rupp Arena. Despite being a 10.5-point favorite, the Cats were down 6 with less than 8 to play.
That’s a bettor’s dream y’all. Why?
Kentucky was a double-digit home favorite where they have lost only 1 game this season (14-1). Anytime you see a heavy favorite trailing late, especially at home, there is GREAT value in live betting the money line (ML) once the odds drop. In this instance, the Kentucky ML was around -600 to -650 before tipoff meaning you’d have to wager $600 to win just $100 for Kentucky to win outright. However, when they were down 6, I was able to live bet Kentucky’s ML at -120 on BetOnline for a big win.
The opportunistic live bet is our tip of the week.
But what are the best stats and trends for the week ahead? Here are my 5 favorite betting trends to know for games starting Feb. 18:
1. Feb. 18: Mizzou vs. Ole Miss – Mizzou has won 11 of the past 12 in this series. Ole Miss is 1-7 on the road this season, but the Rebels are 7-2-1 ATS in their past 10 overall.
2. Feb. 18 Florida vs. Arkansas — Florida is 7-1 vs. Arkansas under Mike White and have won 13 consecutive at home vs. the Razorbacks. Arkansas has lost their past 4 overall, but the over is 9-0 in their past 9 games.
3. Feb. 18: LSU vs. Kentucky – Sharps hammered the under when this line opened, moving it down from 152.5 to 145.5. In LSU’s past 7 home games, they’re only 2-5 ATS while Kentucky is 5-2 ATS in their past 7 road games.
4. Feb. 19: Alabama vs. Texas A&M — Alabama ranks 5th in the country in 1st half scoring ppg (39.4); A&M ranks 349th in the same stat, averaging just 25.6 ppg in the opening half, which is the 5th-worst in the country.
5. Feb. 19: Mississippi State vs. South Carolina – Both teams are 8-3 ATS in their past 11 games overall. However, the Gamecocks (who should be an underdog on the road) are 7-2 ATS this season on the road and are 6-3 overall.
Make sure to tune in every Monday at 7:30 p.m., ET for our SDS Weekly Happy Hour live video & Basketball Betting Preview on the SDS Facebook page brought to you by BetOnline!