College Football Rankings: Projecting Sunday's Week 8 AP Top 25 Poll
Welcome back, Big Ten. The number of 0-0 teams ranked in the AP Top 25 drops significantly with the Pac-12 the only Power 5 conference waiting to start a fall football season.
The biggest upset of the day was No. 8 Penn State falling to Indiana 36-35 in overtime. It was a fluky loss as PSU could have easily won 21-20 instead of going up 28-20 and giving Indiana the opportunity to answer. There’s also the fact that the Hoosiers’ 2-point conversion to win was incredibly close to being denied. Still, for the Nittany Lions, it’s falling to 0-1 with a loss to an unranked team, so PSU will drop in the polls.
Also in the Big Ten, Minnesota is likely to exit the Top 25 after getting blown out at home by No. 18 Michigan.
Memphis was the highest “others receiving votes” team heading into Saturday. The Tigers defeated Temple to 41-29, moving to 3-1, probably enough to get them into the Top 25.
Right now, the trickiest component to projection is No. 9 Cincinnati vs. No. 16 SMU, a battle of undefeated teams. It’s a tight one, currently early in the third quarter. Virginia has also made things interesting late at No. 11 Miami. With that in mind, here’s how we project Sunday’s new AP Top 25:
- Clemson (6-0) def. Syracuse, 47-21
- Alabama (5-0) def. Tennessee, 48-17
- Notre Dame (5-0) def. Pittsburgh, 45-3
- Ohio State (1-0) def. Nebraska, 52-17
- Georgia (3-1), did not play
- Oklahoma State (4-0) def. No. 17 Iowa State, 24-21
- Cincinnati leading No. 16 SMU, 14-10 3Q
- Texas A&M (3-1), did not play
- Michigan (1-0) def. No. 21 Minnesota, 49-24
- Florida (2-1), did not play
- Miami (4-1) leading Virginia, 19-14 3Q
- BYU (5-0) leading Texas State, 21-7 2Q (BYU favored by 30)
- North Carolina (4-1) def. No. 23 NC State, 48-21
- Wisconsin (1-0) def. Illinois, 45-7
- Penn State (0-1) lost to Indiana, 36-35
- Oregon (0-0), did not play
- SMU losing to No. 9 Cincinnati, 14-10 3Q
- Kansas State (4-1) def. Kansas, 55-14
- Indiana (1-0) def. Penn State, 36-35
- Marshall (5-0) def. FAU, 20-9
- USC (0-0), did not play
- Coastal Carolina (5-0) def. Georgia Southern, 28-14
- Iowa State (3-2) lost to No. 6 Oklahoma State, 24-21
- NC State (4-2) lost to No. 14 North Carolina, 48-21
- Memphis (3-1) def. Temple, 41-29
Projected to drop out of the AP Top 25: No. 19 Virginia Tech (3-2) lost to Wake Forest, 23-16; No. 21 Minnesota (0-1) lost to No. 18 Michigan, 49-24