ESPN offers up path for the SEC's main contenders to win the national championship in 2020
What’s it going to take for the Southeastern Conference to produce another national champion in 2020?
That’s what ESPN’s Bill Connelly set out to answer, along with the other teams with the best odds to win the next college football national championship, in his recent column for the worldwide leader in sports.
The SEC teams featured among the 18 programs with the best odds to win it next season are Alabama (+500), Georgia (+700), Florida (+1,200), LSU (+1,800), Auburn (+3,000) and Texas A&M (+3,500). These odds come courtesy of Caesars Sportsbook in Las Vegas.
The way Connelly sees it, the better odds you have to win the upcoming national title, the least amount of questions that the team has to answer on the field in order to be crowned champions by the season’s end.
Here are the questions Connelly came up with for each of the SEC’s main contenders that must be answered in order for them to win it all.
- If … small-sample Mac Jones becomes large-sample Mac Jones.
- If … a retooled secondary jells quickly.
- If … Jamie Newman lives up to the PFF hype.
- If … one more receiver emerges.
- If … the havoc rate continues to climb.
- If … the third-down defense improves (and without Jonathan Greenard).
- If … the offensive line carries its weight this time.
- If … Dan Mullen’s skill-corps recruiting bears fruit.
- If … a couple of new hires clear an extremely high bar.
- If … Myles Brennan is ready.
- If … a better pass rush emerges.
- If (x2) … Bo Nix has it.
- If … the run game somehow improves despite turnover.
- If … a new secondary holds up.
- If … the defensive line rebounds.
- If … a shutdown corner emerges.
- If … 2019 was Kellen Mond’s mulligan.
- If … the big plays return.