ESPN updates bracketology heading into SEC Tournament Championship Game
On Saturday morning, one of the bigger NCAA Tournament was whether Kentucky deserved a No. 1 seed. Tennessee silenced debate by downing UK 82-78 in the SEC Tournament semifinal. No more top-seed talk for the Wildcats.
In ESPN expert Joe Lunardi’s latest bracketology, Tennessee and Kentucky are both projected as No. 2 seeds. Lunardi has the Cats in the West region facing Abilene Christian while the Vols would be in the South region taking on Bradley. The current projected No. 1 seeds belong to three ACC teams (Duke, Virginia and North Carolina) as well as Gonzaga.
As far as bubble watch goes, Lunardi has Florida as one of the last four teams to receive a bye (avoid having to play in a first-round play-in game). The projection has UF as the No. 10 seed in the Midwest region opening tournament play against a No. 7-seed Louisville. Alabama, meanwhile, sits atop Lunardi’s “next four out.”
Here are the latest projections for SEC teams:
- Tennessee – South No. 2 vs. Bradley
- Kentucky – West No. 2 vs. Abilene Christian
- LSU – East No. 3 vs. Harvard
- Auburn – East No. 5 vs. Saint Mary’s
- Mississippi State –Midwest No. 6 vs. Oregon
- Ole Miss – Midwest No. 9 vs. Iowa
- Florida – Midwest No. 10 vs. Louisville
- Alabama – Next Four Out