Projecting the AP Top 25: Ranked SEC teams go unbeaten, Stanford slides
Desmond Howard’s national champion pick fell flat at Northwestern and Arizona State’s high-powered offense had no answers for John Chavis’ new-look defense vs. Texas A&M.
The Aggies’ impressive neutral-site win over a squad some projected in the College Football Playoff featured Kyler Murray’s debut at quarterback along with true freshman Christian Kirk’s stellar outing in the national spotlight.
SEC will begin 2015 a perfect 4-0 vs. Power 5 non-conference opponents, including 2-0 vs. Top 25 teams.
— Chuck Dunlap (@SEC_Chuck) September 6, 2015
Had it not been for Vanderbilt’s two-point loss to Western Kentucky on Thursday, the SEC could’ve finished a sparkling 14-0 the first weekend in college football — but 12-1 (pending Mississippi State/Southern Miss and including LSU’s canceled opener) highlighted by two wins over ranked teams ain’t too shabby.
The SEC’s other notable wins were over 20th-ranked Wisconsin, Louisville and North Carolina. Alabama’s statement over the Badgers could be enough to push the Crimson Tide ahead of TCU, but not likely.
PROJECTING TUESDAY’S AP TOP 25
- Ohio State at Virginia Tech, Monday
- TCU def. Minnesota, 23-17, Thursday.
- Alabama def. No. 20 Wisconsin, 35-17.
- Baylor def. SMU, 56-21, Friday.
- Michigan State def. Central Michigan, 37-24, Friday.
- Auburn def. Louisville, 31-24.
- Oregon def. Eastern Washington, 61-42.
- Arkansas State vs. USC, late.
- Georgia def. Louisiana Monroe, 51-14.
- Florida State def. Texas State, late.
- Notre Dame def. Texas, 38-3.
- Clemson def. Wofford, 49-10.
- UCLA def. Virginia, 34-16.
- LSU vs. McNeese State, canceled.
- Georgia Tech def. Alcorn St., 69-6, Thursday.
- Ole Miss def. UT-Martin, 76-3.
- Arkansas def. UTEP, 48-13.
- Texas A&M def. No. 15 Arizona State, 38-17.
- Oklahoma def. Akron, 41-3.
- Arizona def. Texas-San Antonio, 42-32, Thursday.
- Boise State def. Washington, 16-13.
- Mizzou def. Southeast Missouri St., 34-3.
- Tennessee def. Bowling Green, 59-30.
- Oklahoma State def. Central Michigan, 24-13.
- No. 15 Arizona State lost to Texas A&M, 38-17.
Dropped out: No. 21 Stanford lost at Northwestern, 16-6; No. 20 Wisconsin lost to No. 3 Alabama, 35-17.