Projecting the new AP Top 25 for Week 12
Welcome to the top 10…Northwestern?!
The Big Ten looks to be responsible for the biggest AP Top 25 shakeup. Northwestern, currently ranked No. 19, knocked off No. 10 Wisconsin to improve to 5-0. With many teams in the teens already at two losses and one-loss Miami off this week due to postponement, the undefeated Wildcats are likely to climb to No. 10.
Indiana lost to No. 3 Ohio State, but by only one score. With just one-loss and a strong showing Saturday, the Hoosiers seem likely to stay at No. 9. It helps that No. 10 Wisconsin also lost and, again, many teams in the teens are either off, have two losses, or didn’t impress.
As far as any team dropping out of the Top 25, there is one situation to watch. Hugh Freeze’s Liberty Flames fell to NC State 15-14. Liberty was No. 21. The Flames could drop out as Washington received a few votes last week and is waxing Arizona on its way to 2-0. We’ll give Freeze’s Flames the benefit of the doubt with voters, an 8-1 mark with a one-point loss is likely still Top 25-worthy to most.
Another potential shakeup could come if Utah were to upset USC. Pac-12 After Dark doesn’t play nice with our ranking projections. The Trojans have a 10-3 lead in the second quarter and are favored by 2.5 points. For the projection, we’ll predict USC gets the win and stays in the Top 25.
Here’s how we project the new AP Top 25:
- Alabama (7-0) def. Kentucky, 63-3
- Notre Dame (8-0), did not play
- Ohio State (4-0) def. No. 9 Indiana, 42-35
- Clemson (7-1), did not play
- Texas A&M (5-1), did not play
- Florida (6-1) def. Vanderbilt, 38-17
- Cincinnati (8-0) def. UCF, 36-33
- BYU (9-0) def. North Alabama, 66-14
- Indiana (4-1) lost to No. 3 Ohio State, 42-35
- Northwestern (5-0) def. No. 10 Wisconsin, 42-35
- Oregon (3-0) def. UCLA, 38-35
- Miami (7-1), did not play
- Oklahoma (6-2) def. No. 14 Oklahoma State, 41-13
- Georgia (5-2) def. Mississippi State, 31-24
- Coastal Carolina (8-0) def. App State, 34-23
- Iowa State (6-2) def. Kansas State, 45-0
- Marshall (7-0), did not play
- Wisconsin (2-1) lost to Northwestern, 17-7
- USC (2-0) leads Utah, 10-3 2Q (USC favored by 2.5)
- Oklahoma State (5-1) vs. No. 18 Oklahoma
- Texas (5-2), did not play
- Auburn (5-2) def. Tennessee, 30-17
- Louisiana (7-1), did not play
- Tulsa (5-1) def. Tulane, 30-24
- Liberty (8-1) lost to NC State, 15-14