Top 50 SEC players entering 2015
- Best SEC players: Nos. 50-41
- Best SEC players: Nos. 40-31
- Best SEC players: Nos. 30-21
- Best SEC players: Nos. 20-11
- Best SEC players: Nos. 10-1
In case you missed our Top 50 SEC players reveal, you can check out the full list below. Or, if you want more detailed explanations, our installments of 10 above.
I stand by our list of 50 players, with one exception: it appears that Auburn’s Jovon Robinson may enter the season as the third-team running back.
The Tigers have produced the SEC’s leader in consecutive seasons — Tre Mason and Cameron Artis-Payne — so whomever gets the majority of the carries should inherit the kind of production worthy of a Top 50 SEC player. But right now it looks like Roc Thomas and Peyton Barber are ahead of Robinson.
Also, Missouri defensive tackle Harold Brantley ranked at No. 24 on our list before getting involved in a single-car accident this summer that will keep him off the field in 2015.
1. Mississippi State QB Dak Prescott
2. Georgia RB Nick Chubb
3. Ole Miss DT Robert Nkemdiche
4. Florida CB Vernon Hargreaves III
5. Ole Miss LT Laremy Tunsil
6. LSU RB Leonard Fournette
7. Georgia LB Leonard Floyd
8. Tennessee DE Derek Barnett
9. Alabama LT Cam Robinson
10. Auburn QB Jeremy Johnson
11. Texas A&M DE Myles Garrett
12. Alabama DT A’Shawn Robinson
13. Alabama DE Jonathan Allen
14. Alabama RB Derrick Henry
15. Ole Miss WR Laquon Treadwell
16. Tennessee CB Cam Sutton
17. Alabama LB Reggie Ragland
18. Ole Miss DB Tony Conner
19. Auburn WR D’haquille Williams
20. Georgia G Greg Pyke
21. Georgia LB Lorenzo Carter
22. Texas A&M QB Kyle Allen
23. Arkansas RB Jonathan Williams
24. Auburn DE Carl Lawson
25. South Carolina WR Pharoh Cooper
26. Auburn CB Jonathan Jones
27. Tennessee QB Joshua Dobbs
28. Tennessee DE/LB Curt Maggitt
29. Missouri LB Kentrell Brothers
30. Missouri RB Russell Hansbrough
31. Auburn RB Jovon Robinson
32. Georgia LB Jordan Jenkings
33. LSU S Jamal Adams
34. Arkansas G Sebastian Tretola
35. Mississippi State WR De’Runnya Wilson
36. Missouri C Evan Boehm
37. LSU S Jalen Mills
38. Arkansas LT Denver Kirkland
39. Georgia LT John Theus
40. Arkansas TE Hunter Henry
41. Ole Miss DE Marquis Haynes
42. Auburn DT Montravius Adams
43. Texas A&M WR Josh Reynolds
44. Florida DE Alex McCalister
45. LSU CB Tre’Davious White
46. Alabama P JK Scott
47. LSU LB Kendell Beckwith
48. Tennessee RB Jalen Hurd
49. Alabama RB Kenyan Drake
50. Florida DL Jonathan Bullard
TOP 50 PLAYERS BY POSITION
Is anyone surprised that the SEC features more elite talent at running back than at any other position?
The league also is loaded, as per usual, within the defensive front seven. But just four quarterbacks made our list, while defensive tackles and safeties only produced three.
|Position||Top 50 Players|
TOP 50 PLAYERS BY SCHOOL
This list lines up surprisingly close to the media’s preseason predictions for the SEC’s order of finish.
Alabama, Auburn and Georgia feature a combined 19 of our Top 50 players. For those who aren’t math-inclined, that’s 38 percent.
LSU, Ole Miss, Tennessee and Arkansas, which all appear in the preseason USA Today Coaches Poll, are next. (The only other team ranked in that poll, Missouri, also would’ve featured four players in our Top 50. As mentioned previously, we initially ranked Brantley at No. 24 before he suffered career-threatening injuries.)
Kentucky and Vanderbilt are the only two schools that didn’t land a player in our Top 50, while South Carolina’s lone contribution was receiver Pharoh Cooper.
|T4. Ole Miss||5|
|T8. Texas A&M||3|
|11. Mississippi State||2|
|12. South Carolina||1|