SEC Bowl Projections after Week 7
Call me crazy, but I’m starting to think two teams from the SEC West could reach the College Football Playoff this season, especially if LSU finishes 10-1 (the committee will see the canceled McNeese State game as an 11th victory) with a loss to Alabama and doesn’t win the division.
I’m not going to project at the midseason point, however. On the flip side, SEC disaster strikes if LSU beats Alabama then loses the SEC Championship Game to a two-loss East Division winner. Realistically, the league would likely be left out of the final four.
Florida continues its surge up the bowl pecking order and this week, comes in as the SEC’s ‘first team out’ of the New Year’s Six with a Citrus Bowl invite in Orlando. Organizers would be salivating if they could manage a Gators-Wolverines matchup.
For the time being, LSU and Alabama have flipped spots with the Tigers reaching a semifinal game against Baylor (no longer sold on TCU in that season-ending showdown for the Big 12). When LSU and Alabama meet in a couple of weeks, the world will be watching.
2015 SEC BOWL PROJECTIONS AFTER WEEK 7 (11 invites)
- College Football Playoff Semifinal (Cotton Bowl): LSU vs. Baylor
- New Year’s Six Sugar: Alabama vs. Michigan State
- Citrus: Florida vs. Michigan
- Outback: Texas A&M vs. Iowa
- Music City: Ole Miss vs. Northwestern
- Belk: Tennessee vs. N.C. State
- Liberty: Kentucky vs. Kansas State
- TaxSlayer: Georgia vs. Penn State
- Texas: Auburn vs. West Virginia
- Birmingham: Mississippi State vs. East Carolina
- Independence: Mizzou vs. Virginia Tech
On the outside looking in: Arkansas, South Carolina, Vanderbilt