Updating the SEC's coaching carousel
Every offseason, there is coaching turnover around college football, so much so it can be hard to keep track of. SDS is making it easy for you, with a list of every coaching change so far throughout the SEC. Here are all of the staff changes through Tuesday morning.
- Assistant strength and conditioning coach Mark Hocke was named the strength and conditioning coach at Georgia.
- Linebackers coach Kevin Steele accepted the defensive coordinator position at LSU.
- Inside linebackers coach and top recruiter Lance Thompson moved to Auburn to become linebackers coach under Will Muschamp.
- Associate head coach and linebackers coach Randy Shannon resigned to become recruiting coordinator at Florida.
- Offensive coordinator Jim Chaney left for the same position at Pittsburgh.
- Fired defensive coordinator Ellis Johnson, hired Will Muschamp as his replacement.
- Hired former Florida defensive backs coach Travaris Robinson as cornerbacks coach.
- Hired Alabama inside linebackers coach Lance Thompson as linebackers coach.
- Fired Will Muschamp as head coach as well as letting go of Muschamp’s staff. Florida hired former Colorado State head coach Jim McElwain as his replacement.
- Hired Mississippi State’s Geoff Collins as defensive coordinator.
- Hired former Michigan offensive coordinator Doug Nussmeier for the same position.
- Defensive backs coach Travaris Robinson followed Will Muschamp to Auburn as cornerbacks coach.
- Announced several other hires: Greg Nord, formerly the running backs and special teams coach at Western Kentucky, will coach tight ends and special teams; Tim Skipper, who worked with McElwain at CS, will coach running backs; Randy Shannon, former Arkansas linebackers coach, will be co-defensive coordinator, linebackers coach and recruiting coordinator; former Oakland Raiders defensive line coach Terrell Williams was hired for the same position at Florida; UCF defensive back coach Kirk Callahan, a former graduate assistant at Florida, was hired for the same position.
- Hired Alabama’s Mark Hocke as strength and conditioning coach after Joe Tereshinski announced he would be stepping down in December.
- Offensive coordinator Mike Bobo accepted the head coach position at Colorado State, replacing McElwain.
- Offensive line coach Will Friend followed Bobo to CSU to take a position as the Rams’ offensive coordinator.
- Hired former St. Louis Rams offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer for the same position.
- Hired former Marshall tight ends coach and recruiting coordinator Todd Hartley as player personnel director.
- Offensive coordinator Neal Brown left to take the head coaching job at Troy; hired Shannon Dawson as new offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach.
- Special teams coach Craig Naivar left to take a position at Houston.
- Gave tight ends coach Vince Marrow a three-year contract extension.
- Defensive coordinator John Chavis left to take the same position at Texas A&M.
- Hired former Alabama linebackers coach Kevin Steele as defensive coordinator.
- Hired Ed Orgeron as defensive line coach.
- Reassigned former defensive line coach Brick Haley to an athletics department internship.
- Defensive coordinator Geoff Collins left to take the same position at Florida.
- Hired former Louisiana Tech defensive coordinator Manny Diaz as defensive coordinator; Diaz was the Bulldogs defensive coordinator in 2010.
- Defensive coordinator Dave Steckel left to become head coach at Missouri State.
- Hired former Memphis defensive coordinator Barry Odom to replace Steckel.
- Linebackers and special teams coach Tom Allen left to be the defensive coordinator at South Florida.
- Promoted Corey Batoon, formerly an assistant athletic director for recruiting operations, to safeties coach, while adding linebackers coach to defensive coordinator Dave Wommack’s title.
- Fired defensive coordinator Mark Snyder following the regular season finale.
- Wide receivers coach and recruiting coordinator David Beaty left to become head coach at Kansas.
- Offensive line coach and top recruiter B.J. Anderson left the program.
- Hired Utah offensive coordinator Kyle Christensen as offensive line coach.
- Hired LSU defensive coordinator John Chavis for the same position.
- Hired Aaron Moorehead, former Virginia Tech wide receivers coach, for the same position.
- Fired offensive coordinator Karl Dorrell, defensive coordinator David Kotulski, wide receivers coach Mark Lubick and strength coach Bill Hughan
- Hired Wisconsin offensive coordinator Andy Ludwig for the same position.
- Announced several other hires: Todd Lyght, fromer Philadelphia Eagles cornerbacks coach, will be cornerbacks coach; James Dobson, former Nebraska Head Strength coach, will be football strength director; Cortez Hankton, former Dartmouth wide receivers coach, will be wide receivers coach.