Updated list of SEC coaching salaries following recent contract extensions
Last month, USA Today released its annual NCAA coaching salaries update on Thursday and, as expected, many of the SEC’s head coaches ranked near the top of the list in annual earnings.
However, since that USA Today update was released, a handful of SEC coaches have received contract extensions, while Florida changed coaches altogether and gave new head man Jim McElwain a nice raise from what Will Muschamp made in 2014.
With all that in mind, here’s an SDS update on that USA Today update, re-ranking the SEC head coaches on what they stand to make as of Dec. 10.
SEC coaching salaries (average amount earned per year on current contract)
- Nick Saban, Alabama — $7.1 million
- Kevin Sumlin, Texas A&M — $5 million
- Les Miles, LSU — $4.3 million
- Hugh Freeze, Ole Miss — $4 million
- Steve Spurrier, South Carolina — $4 million
- Gus Malzahn, Auburn — $3.8 million
- Butch Jones, Tennessee — $3.6 million
- Mark Stoops, Kentucky — $3.6 million
- Jim McElwain, Florida — $3.5 million*
- Gary Pinkel, Mizzou — $3.4 million
- Mark Richt, Georgia — $3.3 million
- Bret Bielema, Arkansas — $3.2 million
- Dan Mullen, Mississippi St. — $3 million
- Derek Mason, Vanderbilt — Private
NOTE: Coaches in bold have received raises and/or contract extensions since the USA Today story was released last month.
*McElwain was serving as head coach at Colorado State when USA Today released its list last month. His updated salary is the figure offered by Florida.