Will Muschamp discusses Ryan Hilinski's big debut, Jake Bentley situation after Gamecocks blowout Charleston Southern for Week 2 win
South Carolina got all its Week 1 frustrations out on Saturday, thumping Charleston Southern 72-10. The big story of the day was the impressive showing by true freshman QB Ryan Hilinski, taking over as starting signal-caller for the injured Jake Bentley.
After the game, Gamecocks coach Will Muschamp discussed Hilinski, Bentley and more with the media. Here are some of the highlights of what he had to say, with video of the press conference below:
- On home opener: We had a great crowd to start the game well. Thought we came out of the shoot well, offensively.
- On Ryan Hilinski: He was very accurate with the football, very decisive. He played well for his first start.
- More on Hilinski, looking ahead after Week 2: Have to consider the quality of opponent (Charleston Southern), but Hilinski handled himself well for first start, handled the moment well.
- After the North Carolina game, the team wanted to find ways to get the ball to Bryan Edwards and Shi Smith.
- On injured QB Jake Bentley: Very unfortunate situation. Muschamp appreciates the way Bentley has handled the situation, has been at every practice and meeting.
- On Dakereon Joyner: Role will continue to evolve and expand as the season progresses.
- On Kevin Harris: He has really good balance, runs behind his pads extremely well.