Will Muschamp discusses what concerns him most about Georgia's offense
South Carolina opens SEC play this Saturday when it hosts Georgia.
The Gamecocks are coming off a season-opening win over Coastal Carolina, but they have a much more challenging opponent this week as they welcome the No. 3-ranked team in the country to Williams-Brice Stadium.
There will be several areas that South Carolina will have to focus on with Georgia, and Gamecocks coach Will Muschamp discussed one of those during Wednesday’s SEC Coaches’ Teleconference — the Bulldogs’ offensive line.
- They have a massive offensive line. Look at the right side of their line … the center is an athletic, 300-pounder. … Lots of speed on the field. … They can threaten you in the middle … they have a QB that led you to the title game and an SEC title … a stable of backs, looks like he’s running through contact even better than he did last year.
Here are some other topics that Muschamp discussed on the teleconference:
On lessons he’s learned as coach:
- It’s kind of like playing, the game continues to slow down for you. working for [Nick] Saban, he anticipates moves … all the external things you deal with, you learn to deal with those better. That would be the big thing for me.
On buildup for Georgia game:
- We have the every week as a season mentality. I liked our focus last week, and I like the mentality this week. The outcome of this game will not determine the season for us.
On injured DL D.J. Wonnum:
- He looked good. I’m just concerned with possible swelling.
On QB Jake Bentley:
- I think he’s been an efficient passer his first two years. He was supposed to be a high school senior, then last year we had injuries. … I thought he continued to play a high level of football. I thought he was efficient on Saturday, he plays better when we go tempo and that’s part of the reason we do this.
On Georgia QBs Jake Fromm and Justin Fields:
- Well, we have a small sample size in terms of studying Fields. He is an outstanding young man, we offered Justin here, he can make all the throws. … I think they are very similar, size-wise. Both really good football players.