The moment the game clock struck double zeros in Neyland Saturday afternoon following Tennessee’s win over Indiana State, Florida week started for everyone on Rocky Top. With arguably no game meaning as much as this one to the Tennessee faithful, Butch Jones and his staff face obvious pressure in their attempts to start a winning streak over the Gators this weekend.
Due to Hurricane Irma, the location of the is up in the air at the moment. Originally scheduled to be played in Gainesville, a final determination is expected within the next 24 hours. Florida’s game last weekend against Northern Colorado was canceled by the school.
Jones met with the media Monday leading up to the game and gave his latest thoughts on a game featuring so many uncertainties.
- We fully anticipate playing the game in Gainesville. AD John Currie will be working with Florida to find a solution.
- Quinten Dormady’s accuracy has improved but we have to take care of the football.
- Great to get Jarrett Guarantano in the game.
- I was pleased with both individuals. They will continue to compete.
- On lack of pressure on opposing QBs, how much of a focus will that be? It’s always a focal point because the defense is built around getting to the QB. It’s more than just sacks, it’s tipped balls, pressures, impacting the QB with hits.
- Biggest concern with Florida? Very explosive, can play man coverage. Really impressed with the DEs. Very active linebackers. This is a typical Florida defense. Watching the film on offense, they are only a play away (from the big play).
- How important is the usual schedule? We look forward to a normal week of preparation. This will be our first of the season (of that). We will control what we can control
- Injury updates: TE Eli Wolf is questionable just a sprained ankle, nothing surgical for him. WR Tyler Byrd, WR Josh Smith, WR Latrell Williams will all be back. OT Marcus Tatum, KR Evan Berry, LB Austin Smith are all questionable this week. We’ll know more as the week goes on.
- On why the defensive line is lining up so far off the ball: That’s something we continue to talk about, grow and develop. We’ve seen some very non-traditional offenses so far. Our communication was a challenge last week but it was big for us moving forward.