Tennessee guard becomes 2nd UT basketball player to enter NCAA transfer portal
Another Tennessee basketball player is looking at continuing his career elsewhere.
Shortly after Drew Pember announced his decision to enter the NCAA transfer portal, sophomore guard Davonte Gaines followed with a Twitter announcement that he, too, is entering the portal.
While some players withdraw from the transfer portal and return to the team, Gaines’ note indicates his time on Rocky Top has come to an end.
“I’m honored to have been able to wear the orange & white the last two seasons, but I have decided to enter the transfer portal. Vol Nation, I will miss you,” Gaines writes in the note attached to a graphic.
Here is Gaines’ bio from the Tennessee team site:
2020-21 – SOPHOMORE
- Game-by-Game Statistics
- Saw limited action off the bench in 19-of-27 games this season.
- Recorded just three turnovers in 68 minutes played this season.
- Totaled two steals, an assist and a rebounds in 10 minutes of action in the home win over South Carolina (2/17/21).
- Secured five rebounds in only 10 minutes of game action at Florida (1/19/21).
- Tallied three points and an assist in two minutes of action in UT’s home win over Vanderbilt (1/16/21).
- Scored three points in three minutes of action off the bench in the UT’s 73-53 victory over #12 Missouri (12/30/20).
- Saw his first action of 2020-21 in the Vols dominant victory over Appalachian State, seeing eight minutes of time off the bench and scoring two points.
2019-20 – FRESHMAN
- Game-by-Game Statistics
- Finished his freshman campaign averaging 2.5 points, 1.9 rebounds and 10.4 minutes while appearing in all but two games.
- Posted a positive assist/turnover ratio in his first season and was the first Vol off the bench in seven games.
- Was integral for the Vols in multiple games, providing a spark of energy—particularly defensively—off the bench.
- Scored seven points and pulled down five boards in 20 minutes off the bench at Arkansas (2/26/20).
- Was integral in the Vols building a 17-point lead at 13th-ranked Auburn (2/22/20), pulling in six huge rebounds and scoring four points.
- Provided a huge spark off the bench in 15 minutes of action at Alabama (2/4/20).
- Was incredibly productive in four minutes during UT’s win over Ole Miss (1/21/20), tallying two points and three rebounds.
- Recorded a steal in UT’s win over South Carolina (1/11/2019).
- Earned his first career start, playing in a season-high 26 minutes against Wisconsin (12/28/19).
- Dished out a season-high three assists, while adding seven points in UT’s win over Jacksonville State (12/21/19).
- Recorded a season-high three steals, while once again going perfect from the foul line, knocking down all four of his attempts against Cincinnati (12/18/19).
- Played a strong 20 minutes off the bench in UT’s win over Florida A&M (12/4/19), scoring seven points, averaging 2.33 points per shot, while also grabbing four rebounds and tallying two assists, two steals and a block.
- Helped provide a spark off the bench in 13 minutes of action during UT’s victory over #20 VCU (11/30/19), knocking down all four of his free-throw attempts.
- Knocked down two critical free throws to pull UT to within three points of Florida State (11/29/19) at the Emerald Coast Classic.
- Pulled in a season-high six boards in Tennessee’s 76-41 victory over Alabama State (11/20/19).
- Made his Tennessee debut in the season-opener vs. UNC Asheville (11/5/19) and came off the bench to post nine points, three rebounds, one assist and one steal in the winning effort.
- Saw two minutes of action in Tennessee’s victory over Murray State (11/12/19).