Tennessee’s second spring under coach Jeremy Pruitt is in the books. This was the first one, though, with Jim Chaney calling the plays for Pruitt’s squad. In the offseason, Pruitt made multiple new staff hires, headlined by plucking Chaney from Georgia.
Speaking to reporters after the game, Pruitt touched on Chaney’s offense and QB Jarrett Guarantano’s development, as well as various other topics. Here’s a sampling of what Pruitt had to say:
- Fewer mental mistakes than previous spring practices.
- Vols still need depth and competition to produce quality depth.
- Impressed with punt return unit.
- Team needs to develop a pass rush.
- Great atmosphere all weekend on campus.
- Called new offensive coordinator Jim Chaney “a really good teacher” and thinks QB Jarrett Guarantano is handling the coordinator change well.
- Wants to see offensive linemen play lower with better pad angles.
- Believes in strength coach Craig Fitzgerald and doesn’t think improving strength will be an issue in summer workouts.
- Says WR Jauan Jennings has “come a long ways and has a long ways to go.”
- Really likes LB Shanon Reid, who logged 10 tackles and a pass breakup in spring game.
Pruitt’s presser can be viewed below: