Gus Malzahn says he's proud of Auburn's effort in loss at LSU
In the race for the SEC West, Auburn finds itself on the outside looking after falling at LSU 23-20. The Tigers now have two conference losses while rivals Alabama and LSU remain in first place in the division ahead of their Week 11 meeting.
While it’s a tough loss for Auburn, coach Gus Malzahn said after the game that he is proud of his team’s effort. He also broke down AU’s play on both sides of the ball when meeting with reporters.
Here are the highlights of what Malzahn said in his postgame press conference:
- “I’m proud of our kids’ effort. We played the No. 2 team in the country and fought our guts out all the way to the end.”
- “Defense played outstanding.”
- “Offensively, we didn’t get it done.”
- “We put our quarterback in terrible spots… with that all being said, we had a chance at the end.”
- “We had opportunities and we didn’t seize the moment. Give LSU credit. They’re a very good team.”
- “You’re not gonna beat a good team on the road with 15 penalties.”
- He did not consider a QB change.
- Anthony Schwartz was targeted more than what shows up in the box score. LSU did a good job of taking him away.
- RB Boobee Whitlow practiced Wednesday and Thursday and was cleared “on a limited basis.”
- Kaleb Kim was not hurt. “We just made a change” to Nick Brahms. “We’ll see about that moving forward.”
- “Our guys will stick together. They’re true Auburn men. We’re going to finish this the right way.”