John Franklin III confirms he will return to Auburn in 2017
The 2016 season didn’t go according to plan for junior college transfer QB John Franklin III.
Sean White won Auburn’s starting job and Franklin largely served as his backup, occasionally seeing time in running packages.
However, Franklin isn’t going to give up on the Tigers just yet. Though there had been speculation that he might seek a transfer, Franklin confirmed to 247Sports after Monday’s Sugar Bowl loss that he’d be back at Auburn in 2017:
“I plan on being here for my fifth year. I’m graduating from Auburn and playing my last season here,” Franklin III said after the game.
Even though Auburn brought in Baylor transfer QB Jarrett Stidham this season and will have White back in the mix, Franklin said he expects to compete for the starting job heading into next season:
“Now that I’ve got a whole year experience under my belt, coaches know what type of player I am and I feel like I’ve got a real chance this time,” Franklin III said.
Stidham is seen by many as the favorite to land the starting role next year, but that doesn’t mean Franklin can’t be a valuable part of what’s expected to be a talented squad.
Auburn opens the 2017 season at home against Georgia Southern on Sept. 2.