Dan Mullen updates status of Georgia 5-star transfer Brenton Cox
Dan Mullen and the Florida Gators have been waiting to receive an update on whether or not 5-star transfer Brenton Cox will be able to play in 2019. The Gators are going to have to remain patient. On Wednesday’s SEC media teleconference, Mullen said he is still waiting to hear back from the NCAA on a ruling.
Cox, a sophomore defensive end, is attempting to obtain a waiver that will allow him to play immediately after transferring to Florida from Georgia. He posted 20 tackles, including 2.0 tackles for loss and one sack as a reserve player last year with the Bulldogs.
Here’s what else Mullen said on the teleconference:
- On his defense: We’ve done a nice job of the next guy coming in and being ready to play, we’ve just had so many injuries… hopefully, by the end of the year we do have an elite defense.
- On balance on offense: I always love balance but I’m not stubborn. Usually, by the end of the year we are usually tilted one way or another… we take what the defense gives us… it’s my job to take the players I have and get the most out of them and that’s not always the same.
- On Jim Chaney offense last week: Very similar, Jim is a great coach. He is going to utilize his strengths and put his guys in a position to be successful and that’s what he has done.
- On development of David Reese: He is a senior captain for us… he has been in the program, paid his dues, done things the right way. That’s what you want in your leaders, guys that show up, take care of business… he has bought in to everything we’ve tried to do here.
- On SEC scheduling: I think this year, we are playing one of the tougher nonconference schedules, we want to continue to do that.. it will be more fun if you get to play the teams from the other division more often… just for the students, getting the experience to play those teams more.