Florida game-by-game predictions: ESPN's FPI projects Gators' 2022 season
Florida finished its 2021 season with a disappointing 6-7 mark. A year after winning the SEC East, the Gators went just 2-6 in conference play.
It’s a new era of Florida football as the 2022 season begins Billy Napier’s tenure. The former Louisiana head coach assembled a new-look staff, declining to retain any of Dan Mullen’s assistant coaches.
The Gators turn to Gainesville’s own Anthony Richardson as the starting quarterback. In 8 appearances as a redshirt freshman in 2021, Richardson flashed eye-catching athleticism and impressive arm strength as a dual-threat QB, accounting for 6 touchdowns (3 rushing, 3 passing).
Richardson is the face of the 2022 team, but the Gators return other notable talents. Former 5-star recruits Brenton Cox, Gervon Dexter and Jason Marshall will help lead a defense under a new scheme. Napier turned to the transfer portal in the offseason to address needs at running back, wide receiver, defensive back and offensive line.
After settling a few starting spots in fall camp, the Gators enter a challenging September slate, kicking off with Utah. In addition to the usual conference schedule of SEC East rivals and LSU, Florida travels to Texas A&M for its rotating SEC West contest.
ESPN’s Football Power Index (FPI), a simulation-based measure of team strength, has Florida favored in 7 regular-season contests. Here are the projections for every game:
- Sept. 3 vs. Utah – 52.1% chance of winning
- Sept. 10 vs. Kentucky – 51.1% chance of winning
- Sept. 17 vs. USF – 87.7% chance of winning
- Sept. 24 at Tennessee – 39.8% chance of winning
- Oct. 1 vs. Eastern Washington – 96.9% chance of winning
- Oct. 8 vs. Missouri – 78.3% chance of winning
- Oct. 15 vs. LSU – 44.7% chance of winning
- Oct. 29 vs. Georgia (in Jacksonville) – 9.6% chance of winning
- Nov. 5 at Texas A&M – 29.7% chance of winning
- Nov. 12 vs. South Carolina – 69.9% chance of winning
- Nov. 19 at Vanderbilt – 86.8% chance of winning
- Nov. 25 at Florida State – 44.3% chance of winning