Kirby Smart disappointed after first scrimmage, challenges first team
Georgia held its first scrimmage of fall camp on Saturday and the way coach Kirby Smart saw things, the second team outplayed the first team.
“[The second-team] didn’t dominate the scrimmage by any means, but they did some really good things,” Smart said. “This is the first day you really get to see twos go against ones and ones go against twos.”
Smart touched on other topics, including RB Zamir White and two players who were banged up:
- Was not the type of scrimmage he was hoping for. Good news is “we’ve got time to clean it up.”
- Team did not have the “same juice” as they’ve shown in practices.
- Brenton Cox chose to withdraw from UGA. Smart wishes him the best at Florida.
- CB D.J. Daniel has been impressive.
- Starting CB Tyson Campbell got “dinged up.” Hopefully will be back soon.
- QB D’Wan Mathis unable to scrimmage, but is competing in practice drills.
- RB Brian Herrien had long, explosive run.
- QB Stetson Bennett “had a good day,” executed offense well.
- On White: I thought he was really contact tough. He was able to churn it out and get first downs.
- Freshman WR Dominick Blaylock worked at punt returner.