Dak Prescott doesn't regret comments defending standing for national anthem
Dak Prescott saw the backlash on social media after stating last week that he would never protest during the national anthem and would always stand, even if the Dallas Cowboys hadn’t enforced a new team policy making it required to do so.
Even though some didn’t agree with the former Mississippi State quarterback, he has no regrets about the comments he made.
“It doesn’t bother me. I said what I said. You have an opinion. Everyone else has an opinion. They are entitled to it as well,” Prescott told the Star-Telegram on Tuesday. “I accepted what they said and respect it. They should respect mine.”
Prescott said he understands the reasons why some players choose to protest, but he would rather use that time for reflection. He reiterated this week that he recognizes the inequality issues throughout the country.
“I never said I didn’t believe in social injustice and things that were going on. I just said I didn’t think that the national anthem was the time,” Prescott told the Star-Telegram. “It’s two minutes out of our day that we could also be spending embracing what our country should be and what our country is going to be one day that we know that it’s not right now. That is the sad part about it. That it’s not.”
Prescott is entering his third season in the NFL, all with the Cowboys. They open the 2018 season on Sept. 9 when they travel to play the Carolina Panthers.