Mississippi State uses series of billboards to recognize NFL rookies
Mississippi State likes to promote its players who make it in the NFL with a slogan that says, “from State to Sundays.” This season, the school has taken out billboards around the country to celebrate that accomplishment.
Four former Bulldogs begin their NFL careers this week as they’re on 53-man rosters. The rookies will be shown on digital billboards in their respective NFL cities this weekend.
The 100th NFL season features offensive lineman Elgton Jenkins’ Green Bay Packers taking on the Chicago Bears in the league’s oldest rivalry at 8:20 p.m. ET Thursday on NBC from Soldier Field. Jenkins, a once 3-star recruit, developed into an All-American and claimed the Kent Hull Trophy as the state of Mississippi’s top offensive lineman in his final season, the school said in a release.
Safety Johnathan Abram and DE Montez Sweat will also make debuts as Abram’s Oakland Raiders host the Denver Broncos at 10:20 p.m. ET Monday on ESPN. Sweat’s Washington Redskins travel to Philadelphia for a 1 p.m. ET Sunday kickoff on FOX.
Deion “Shaq” Calhoun went undrafted to No. 1 on the depth chart at guard. Calhoun’s Miami Dolphins host the Baltimore Ravens at 1 p.m. ET Sunday on CBS.
A billboard will also recognize 2019 NFL Draft No. 19 pick Jeffery Simmons in Nashville. Simmons, who is recovering from an ACL injury last winter, will begin the season on the reserve/non-football injury list.
Here are the schedules and locations of the billboards:
- Elgton Jenkins – Green Bay; location: Highway 172 at Oneida Street
- Johnathan Abram – Oakland Raiders; Oakland location: Nimitz Freeway across from Oakland Coliseum
- Deion “Shaq” Calhoun – Miami Dolphins; Miami location: I-95 near the Palmetto Expressway
- Jeffery Simmons – Tennessee Titans; Nashville location: James Robertson Parkway near Nissan Stadium
- Montez Sweat – Washington Redskins; D.C. location: South Bound I-95/495 near Ritchie Marlboro Road