What Matt Luke said about Ole Miss' brutal loss to Memphis
Coach Matt Luke was disappointed following Ole Miss’ 15-10 loss to Memphis in the season opener on Saturday.
Luke told the team that it’s a long season, and defensively, there were some bright spots.
QB Matt Corral was 9-for-19 passing for 93 yards and an interception. The Rebels had just 80 yards rushing.
Here are some of his key quotes in the post-game. The Rebels play host to Arkansas on Sept. 7.
- “Offensively, we really struggled in the first half, got a little bit better in the second half,” Luke said. “But with those young guys, we’ve got to grow up in a hurry. With SEC play starting next week, we’ve got to move forward and get that bad taste out of our mouth.”
- “We struggled to block them, we struggled versus movement, a couple bad decisions, stayed behind the chains, couldn’t get anything going.”
- “Our defense kept us in it for the whole game. It looked like a much improved defense, we’ve got a lot of growing up to do offensively.”
- On halftime adjustments: “We ran a few more power run plays. … But we just didn’t sustain drives, didn’t make the plays we needed to. We seemed out of sync most of the first half and that seemed to be the story of the game.”
- On Matt Corral: “We’ve just got to settle him down. He’s got a lot of ability, a lot of talent. We have some weapons we’ve got to find a way to get them in space, stay on track and stay out of negative plays.”
The video comes from Rebel Grove: