What's next for D.K. Metcalf? Matt Luke comments on injured Ole Miss WR's future
Earlier this week, Ole Miss discovered that receiver D.K. Metcalf won’t be able to return this year due to a season-ending neck injury he suffered against Arkansas.
But what hasn’t been discussed much is that Metcalf may never suit up for the Rebels again.
As a redshirt sophomore, Metcalf has fulfilled the NFL draft requirement mandating that eligible players must be three years removed from high school. The 6-foot-4, 230-pound receiver has NFL potential after putting up huge numbers this year, and Ole Miss coach Matt Luke was asked about his future during Wednesday’s SEC Coaches Teleconference.
“My concern for D.K. is the best for him long-term,” Luke said. “We are trying to make sure he has the best info, as far as surgery, and we will get to that other stuff (and his NFL decision) later. My mindset is on getting him healthy.”
That will likely be a long process for Metcalf, whose absence will be a blow to the Rebels (5-2, 1-2 SEC) moving forward. Ole Miss hosts Auburn (4-3, 1-3) at noon ET on Saturday, and that game was among several other topics Luke touched on during the teleconference.
You can see his full responses below.
On Nick Bosa leaving Ohio State early:
- I think every individual case is different. Not sure of his injury, if he’s out for the season. If so, that makes sense to me.
- Well, I see an elite defense. The margin is so small in this league. They have been off with a turnover here or there, or missing a play. It’s not all doom and gloom for them. They are a good football team.
On Auburn RB Boobie Whitlow:
- He is a very good back. We have to stop the run whoever they put out there, but he is a very good back.
On Auburn QB Jarrett Stidham this year vs. last year?
- They’ve just been off. The turnovers have hurt them. They have had chances to make plays, but again, they are very talented running the ball and running play-action. They have some fast wide receivers, (and) they have a good team with an elite defense that will be in every game.
On QB Jordan Ta’amu:
- He probably had his two best games in the last two. … His completion percentage continues to improve; I like his development there.
On the Ole Miss running game and Scottie Phillips:
- Well, I told everyone he was good in the spring. He has done a really good job, hitting the hole, making people miss. … He catches the ball well, (and) he has exceeded expectations.
On the Little Rock comeback against Arkansas:
- With DK out, we were banged up, facing adversity, can’t go to a bowl game. Very proud of our guys down 17 to fight back. I think it gives us momentum moving forward.