CBS Sports updates bowl projections after Week 5
With another week of college football in the books, bowl projections everywhere have been updated.
CBS Sports bowl expert Jerry Palm recently updated his bowl projections following the Week 5 action. He has nine SEC teams heading to a bowl game, including a College Football Playoff clash we’ve seen before:
- Alabama: Peach Bowl vs. Georgia (CFP semifinal)
- Auburn: Citrus Bowl vs. Iowa
- Florida: Outback Bowl vs. Penn State
- Georgia: Peach Bowl vs. Alabama (CFP semifinal)
- Kentucky: Liberty Bowl vs. Iowa State
- LSU: Sugar Bowl vs. Texas (New Year’s Six)
- Mississippi State: Music City Bowl vs. N.C. State
- Missouri: Gator Bowl vs. Michigan State
- Texas A&M: Texas Bowl vs. TCU
As usual, Palm stops short of predicting the national championship game matchup and winner, with TBD written in the spots for the winners of Alabama vs. Georgia and Clemson vs. Oklahoma. He also continues to project Missouri to go bowling, even though the Tigers are currently under a postseason ban, which MU has appealed. The NCAA has not yet informed Mizzou of a final decision on the matter.
It’s interesting to see that Auburn’s big win in Week 5 hasn’t elevated AU to New Year’s Six consideration in Palm’s eyes. He also still projects Kentucky to make a bowl over South Carolina even after the Gamecocks beat the Wildcats on Saturday.
SEC teams absent from Palm’s projections are Arkansas, Ole Miss, South Carolina, Tennessee and Vanderbilt.