Paul Finebaum weighs in on bowl cancellations, changing landscape of CFB postseason
Paul Finebaum made his regular Monday appearance on WJOX and the “McElroy and Cubelic In the morning” show to discuss the bowl cancellations that have happened so far, and the changing landscape of the college football postseason.
Cole Cubelic made reference to teams withdrawing for reasons beyond COVID-19 and how in some cases they’re leaving hefty payouts on the table.
“Cole, I think you’d be pretty naive and I know you’re not based on what you’re saying to think this is all COVID-related,” Finebaum said. “Some of these are understandable, they’re on the eve of the game, some are some distance away, and with each case you have to look inside, what does the roster look like, do they have a quarterback, how did the season end. I am surprised, but on the other hand, I hate to say that, this is where we are right now in college football.”
Finebaum lamented that bowl games have lost their value to some schools, and it’s different than it was when Cubelic played at Auburn a generation ago.
“When going to a bowl game was considered a reward, now it’s just a pain,” Finebaum said. “It’s something you have to do to get the season finished, and a lot of players and obviously coaches and programs are thinking you know what, the money’s great, but we’ll be OK by not playing.”
Finebaum said even before COVID-19, there were bowl opt outs, but one positive on the horizon is that a potential 12-team Playoff would move more teams to the center stage.
“Right now you have 4 teams playing in big bowl games, and outside of the 2 games Friday, I suppose probably only the Rose Bowl is a game that stands alone that players are saying, you know what, I’m not going to miss it, maybe the Sugar Bowl, to a second degree,” he said.