Will Muschamp provides injury updates for Rico Dowdle, Dak Joyner
With a week off before facing Georgia, South Carolina has the luxury of allowing some guys extra rest. The Gamecocks are taking full advantage of that opportunity this week.
South Carolina coach Will Muschamp said during his press conference Wednesday that running back Rico Dowdle is working out and running but not practicing. The team, though, is expecting “him being back next week.”
Dowdle suffered an ankle injury during the victory against Kentucky on Saturday.
Backup quarterback Dak Joyner is dealing with a lingering hamstring injury and didn’t play versus the Wildcats. Muschamp says Joyner hasn’t done anything at practice yet, and they are planning on him sitting out all week. Muschamp added they “will know more about him next week.”
Here’s what else Muschamp said during his Wednesday press conference:
- On Javon Kinlaw: I think that a lot of it has to do with his conditioning. He had a great summer. In May, we watched a lot of film, big-picture stuff, not just playing DL… He’s a guy playing at a high level, he is in the best shape he can be in physically and mentally and that’s something he needed to do… He is totally committed.
- On California bill: I have not. I am aware of it, changes need to be made to continue to support student-athletes but the people making those decisions are not named Will Muschamp. We will do whatever they come up with.
- On Josh Vann: He has really worked hard in the weight room… met the challenges we had for him… made a nice play (vs. Kentucky) running through some tackles the other day.
- On Lynn Bowden: I think he is really elusive… he has great top-end speed, he can throw the ball… He creates an extra runner in the backfield… he is tough to tackle
- On Georgia breakdown so far: Coach Smart has done a fantastic job, they recruit at a high level, they have a deep roster on both sides of the ball. That creates competition at practice… they have the biggest OL we will face, they are athletic on defense… Fromm can make all the throws… their backs can all hit the home run… they can roll a lot of bodies at you up front and they are athletic on the backend… Very physical team