Jimbo Fisher post-game quotes after Texas A&M throttled Northwestern State
Texas A&M got off to a huge start in the Jimbo Fisher era, as the Aggies crushed Northwestern State 59-7 Thursday night.
Fisher’s offense racked up an impressive 758 offensive yards, and RB Trayveon Williams set a new career high with 240 yards rushing and three TDs. QB Kellen Mond threw for two TDs to TE Jace Sternberger.
It was a highly anticipated debut for Fisher, who was hired away from Florida State following last football season. Fisher has been instilling toughness into Texas A&M’s players all off-season, and it showed Thursday night. The Aggies looked like a different football team. Improved QB play under Mond, who clearly showed progression, and a defense that looked fast, physical and not ready to make the dumb mistake that will give up the big play like year’s past.
Overall, it was an impressive debut, even if it was against an FCS team.
Following the blowout win, Fisher met with the media, and here are the highlights:
- “Very proud of our team. We played great and I loved the start of the game. We took control of the game. Our defense did a great job. Offensive line did a really good job. Controlled the situations well.”
- “I knew we were moving it well on the ground. (Trayveon Williams’ night) exemplifies everything he’s done for us. He plays like a pro.”
- “What I love … (Kellen Mond) managed the game and got us in the right plays and the right looks. He made some nice plays with his feet and picked up some big third down conversions. He played a very good football game.”
- “Physical doesn’t mean you target. That’s a fundamental thing and you can’t do it. We can’t afford to lose (Alaka and Wilson). Those are two good football players. They’ve been great leaders so hopefully we got that out of our system and we’re ready to go.”
- “We ran for 500 yards. For the most part, the (OL) protected well. They communicated well. They had a very solid performance.”
- “I feel very comfortable (with both QBs). We can start to open this [offense] up and keep going in it, and have some fun.”
You can watch Jimbo Fisher’s full post-game press conference below:
Watch Coach Fisher’s postgame press conference after a dominating 59-7 win.#NSUvsTAMU #GigEm pic.twitter.com/h5L92ADQvR
— Texas A&M Football (@AggieFootball) August 31, 2018