What Jimbo Fisher said after Texas A&M's 28-20 loss against Auburn
Texas A&M suffered a tough loss at home as Auburn won 28-20 in a game the Tigers led 21-3 before a late comeback by the Aggies.
QB Kellen Mond, who missed some early throws, finished with 355 yards passing, but it was the Aggies’ running game that was bottled up with just 56 yards.
Here’s what Jimbo Fisher told reporters after the game.
- The guys didn’t mess up because they wanted to. We’ve got to do a better job of coaching.
- I think (Kellen Mond) played well. He kept battling and kept us in there with some big plays.
- We work a lot on sudden changes and (Auburn) made the plays today in those critical moments.
- I’m going to have to evaluate (the run game). We thought we had some things but we’ll have to evaluate it.
- Credit Auburn for playing well early and getting the momentum early in the game. Our kids battled and competed in the game. We had chances to make plays and were three or four or five plays short. That starts with me as a coach. I’ll (fix it).
- Ainias (Smith) has to play more. I have said that from the beginning. We just went with our more veteran guys in there. We have to do a better job of keeping him in the normal rotation, and that’s my fault.
- (Ausbon) has been tremendous. He’s a tremendous leader and a captain. He does everything the right way and competes his butt off. (His effort) doesn’t surprise me at all. He got banged up but I don’t have an update.
- We’ll evaluate everything. What we’re doing, how we’re doing it, who’s doing it, the way it’s done and we’ll make those changes, so as those kids are playing, we’ll look at it and explain to them what the issues are and what we think and we’ll work together to solve them up. … That goes on every week. We just got to keep urgency and get better.
- About Mond: There’s some really good moments, and there’s some plays I wished we could have made earlier in the game. But until I see the film, it’s hard to judge what he saw from what you’d see at the sideline, compared to what you see from quarterback position or what’s going on the field. But he kept us in the game as far as his competitive nature.