What Josh Heupel said after Tennessee's loss to Alabama
Josh Heupel got his first taste of the “Third Saturday in October” rivalry. Heupel’s Tennessee Volunteers got off to a great start, leading Alabama 14-7 after the first quarter. The Vols were unable to hold onto the lead and eventually fell 52-24 to the No. 4 Crimson Tide.
In his postgame press conference, Heupel discussed individual performances and a play that loomed large: Bryce Young’s touchdown and possible fumble. Here are the highlights of what Heupel had to say
- On Hendon Hooker: Thought he battled all night long and was efficient for the most part. Had some big plays.
- Hendon Hooker and JaVonta Payton weren’t on same page on the interception.
- On running struggles: Got beat on one-on-one’s in critical situations. Not having Mays hurt.
- Warren Burrell is dealing with a with non-COVID illness.
- Theo Jackson was banged-up early, unable to return.
- On Bryce Young’s touchdown: Officials said there was not a view to overturn. Heupel says Tennessee came out of the pile with the ball on Young’s fumble.